Our Customer Charter
TDA is committed to building excellent relationships with customers, clients and external partners and to the continuous improvement of the services we provide. This Charter sets out the quality of the service you can expect from us.
The TDA’s mission is to bring about the physical and economic regeneration of Torbay and deliver the benefits to the local community.
We aim to support enterprise in Torbay, drive business growth, and promote Torbay as a thriving business location with unique opportunities, excellent quality of life and competitive costs.
Committed to improving employment and skills opportunities for local people, the TDA aims to help create a Brighter Bay: a thriving destination to live, work, visit and invest in.
Our commitment to you
We value our customers, clients and colleagues and treat others with respect and integrity. All staff of the organisation will accept responsibility and accountability for their actions.
We believe in treating every customer as an individual, therefore we are committed to providing effective and efficient services in a professional manner. We have a commitment to provide services free from discrimination on the grounds of ethnic or social origin, gender, disability, age, sexual orientation, religion or nationality.
As one of our customers you can expect:
- to be dealt with promptly and efficiently
- to be treated with respect and courtesy
- to enjoy a safe, clean and healthy environment at our premises
- to be able to give feedback on our services by making suggestions, comments and/or complaints
Standards of Service
As part of our commitment to a high standard of customer care we aim to do the following:
- Respond to customer telephone calls in a timely and courteous manner
- When it is not possible to transfer you to the right place we will take a message, or give you the correct number to telephone; alternatively we will provide you with an e-mail address
- Answer your letter, fax or email within 5 working days of receiving it
- Include in our reply: the name, email address, direct line telephone and fax number of the person replying to your letter, and our full address
- Reply to your letter clearly, concisely and courteously and in plain English, avoiding jargon, abbreviations and acronyms wherever we can
- If we think it will take more than 5 working days to reply to your letter, we will let you know we have received it and tell you how long it will take to provide a full reply
- Acknowledge e-mails sent via our website within two working days
- Ensure that employees are trained to help or give advice, or put you in touch with the right person to answer your query
- Ensure that staff remain courteous and helpful and make every effort to explain things clearly and in terms you understand, keeping jargon to a minimum
- Ensure our premises are clean, welcoming, safe and tidy for all of our visitors
- Treat all of our customers fairly
- Use customer feedback to review and improve our services
If you have an appointment and are unfamiliar with our location, we will give you a location map and directions. We will also give all visitors to our offices a contact name and telephone number. If you require special access, we will make the necessary arrangements.
When you arrive at our office you will be greeted at reception and shown to your meeting within five minutes of the time of your appointment, or informed if there has been an unavoidable delay. In the event of an emergency, the person you are meeting will be responsible for ensuring your safe evacuation from the building.
If you don’t have an appointment our reception staff will contact the appropriate team to help you.
If you need privacy we’ll arrange a suitable quiet room.
If we have to cancel a meeting we’ll do our very best to give you at least 24 hours notice unless there are exceptional circumstances which prevent this.
What we expect from our customers
- We expect that our customers will be on time for appointments we arrange, or let us know if they are delayed or unable to attend.
- We expect that our customers will treat us with respect.
- While recognising the importance of good customer service, we also recognise that there will be occasions when customer behaviour is unacceptable.
- The TDA will not tolerate harassment, threats or assaults. If a customer calls or visits us and behaves in a threatening or abusive way, or uses threatening or abusive language, we may terminate the telephone call or ask them to leave the office. If a customer writes to us using threatening or abusive language we may not reply to the letter.
- The TDA has a duty of care to protect staff from abuse from members of the public. Where appropriate, the TDA will take legal action to protect staff from persistent harassment, threats of violence or violence.
The TDA will:
- record your comments, complaints or compliments and use them to improve our services
- deal with any complaints in line with our complaints procedure (see below)
- treat all complaints seriously and confidentially, whilst remaining fair to all concerned
- apologise when we are wrong and do our best to put things right
If you have any comments or suggestions for improvements please contact us.
The TDA has a three stage complaint process to ensure that if you are unhappy with the response we give you in Stage 1, you can ask more senior staff to consider the issue again in Stages 2 and 3.
Stage 1: You should first take up your complaint informally and directly with the person with whom you have been in contact. You can express your dissatisfaction in person or by letter, fax, e-mail or telephone. You will be asked if you want a formal response. If you do, you can expect a written or email reply from us within five working days.
Stage 2: If you are not satisfied with the response you should then write to your first contact's manager setting out your complaint clearly and in detail. We will acknowledge your letter as soon as possible setting out how we will deal with your complaint. We make every effort to deal fully with all complaints within 20 working days.
Stage 3: If you are still not satisfied with our explanation you can write to the Chief Executive of Torbay Development Agency. You will receive a full response within a further 10 working days.
Phone: 01803 208973
By letter: TDA, Tor Hill House, Union Street, Torquay TQ2 5QW
Our lines are open from 08:40 to 17:15 Monday to Thursday (08:40 to 16:15 on Fridays), except during public holidays. Outside of these hours, you will be able to leave a recorded message. All answer-phone messages left outside of these hours will be dealt with as soon as possible the following working day.
This document can be made available in other languages and formats. For more information please telephone 01803 208973